Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Undecided On Fate

Circumstance is a funny old thing. What interests me and gets me pondering a lot is how one simple action or moment in time affects the next simple action or moment in time. Everything we do depends upon something prior. I think this is why I'm terrible at making decisions, I'm too scared of making the wrong one - even though that results in making no decision and in turn gets me nowhere.

What intrigues me though is how we all go through life, walking by hundreds of strangers who in that moment have, even though maybe very minutely, had an affect on your life. Yet we pay no attention. I will quite often sit in traffic and wonder where the car in front has been or is going, who that person has just seen or going to see, then in turn what that person is up to.

On the topic of fate though, I'm undecided. Are all these little moments in time already planned out? Has somebody already written our lives? Even if not exactly as it goes, are there certain parts that we are destined to live? Or is it all just a game of chance?

If circumstances were different I would have written something else today.

// song at time of writing: Please Bleed - Ben Harper

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Its me Nick

human beings are a sum on their experiences

go left go right neither is wrong since which ever you choose makes you who u are.

ta dar

there.

jarvenpa said...

Deep thoughts. Maybe Nick is right, but sometimes I have a sense of guidance. Though I think sometimes of "what if..."
And yes--we never know how seeming strangers may affect us, or how something seemingly trivial may change someone's path. When I am in big cities I am sometimes overwhelmed by all those lives, all these people with desires and despairs and struggles.
I think knowing how vulnerable our own hearts are, and knowing that others, though we don't know them, also love and hope and suffer--we need to try to at least be kind.
(though I can be quite the bitch, given a chance!)
And about choices--often, if you sense you made a wrong turn--you can turn around, right?